Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 9 | An Ode to Oatmeal Balls

Delicious oatmeal balls
Delicious!
When I was pregnant with Chase, a friend made delicious no-bake oatmeal balls and shared them with me. Unfortunately, one of the reasons they were so yummy was because they had a decent amount of brown sugar (so good!). I was on a no refined sugar diet as directed by my midwife practice so I went on a mission to find a sugar-free alternative to these yummy treats.

2.5 years later and I can count on one hand the times that my refrigerator has been without these balls. Seriously. They are an easy (one-handed!) snack that is really filling and full of pretty healthy ingredients.  Even better?  Chase now loves them, too.  A great toddler snack!

*Here's the recipe:

  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup  unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup flax seed
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Mix everything together then pat firmly into bottom of bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour (I've also done it overnight) then roll into one-inch balls or cut into squares. Patting it into the bowl first makes this process easier.  Refrigerate to store.

Enjoy!

*modified from this original recipe.

1 comment: