Friday, June 17, 2016

Day 763 | Summer Begins

Today was summer vacation, day 1. All in all, it wasn't too bad. Oh, except Chris is sick...and it's our 10 year anniversary. Not exactly how I thought we'd be celebrating. So, to focus on something else, a new pro and con list for all of you.

Reasons Summer Vacation is Definitely Going to Rock
  1. Low key mornings. I've missed not having to rush rush rush in the mornings. Today I didn't shower until 9am. It was glorious.
  2. Getting out there. It's been harder to get to some of our favorite city sites with Chase in school. Even Robbe and I couldn't squeeze in some of the outings we wanted to because of the time constraints with drop off, lunch, nap, and pick up. Now the city is calling our name and we've got quite a list of places to revisit.
  3. Brotherly bonding. These two have been playing together really well lately. I'm cautiously optimistic that trend will continue with all the extra time together this summer. It's quite lovely to watch.
  4. The move. Oh yeah, that little moving-across-the-country thing that's happening this summer vacation. It can't come soon enough.
  5. Time with family. Not only is Chris taking the month of August off between jobs (woohoo!), but we'll get to spend half the summer learning what living near extended family feels like. I have a hunch it's going to be the best ever.
Reasons Summer Vacation *Might Not* Rock
  1. The meals. Making three meals a day for two kids is exhausting. I'm already over it.
  2. Playing moderator. It's true that our kiddos get along (thank goodness!) a good deal of the time. That doesn't, however, mean I don't spend a fair bit of time playing referee between them. 
  3. The heat. Summer in the District isn't always the most comfortable. A lot of the time, outdoor activities (of which we dedicate most of our time to) are sticky, sweaty, and less-than-enjoyable. So far we've been lucky. I hope that continues.
  4. The move. Right now, I'm feeling ok about everything related to the big move. I do, however, realize that the hundreds of things on my to-do list might catch up with me at some point. 
  5. Leaving the District. It's the only place Chris and I have called our home as a married couple. It's not going to be easy to turn the last page of this chapter in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment