Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Day 639 | Green Oatmeal: I can vouch

It's been almost 3.5 years and I've never actually eaten the green oatmeal that I serve the boys. I've tasted it several times (so I knew it wasn't terrible), but it's never been my breakfast.

Over the last month, I've given up cereal as my go-to breakfast option. It dawned on me that the boys are eating super healthy, nourishing breakfasts and I eat, basically, a bowl of sugar. Not anymore! I've been eating what the boys eat every morning. We've been a bit out of our green oatmeal routine lately (yogurt with berries and granola or apple/cinnamon/raisin oatmeal have been the top in the rotation) but today was my day to prove to myself that if the boys can eat, I can. And, guess what? I couldn't even tell it had kale in it. No seriously.

Today's version of green oatmeal:
  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 frozen cube of kale
  • scattering of raisins
  • a dollop of applesauce (to add sweetness)
  • Mix oatmeal, water, and raisins. Add kale cube. Microwave for 90 seconds. Stir in applesauce (this helps cool it down).

I promise you can do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment