Monday, December 7, 2015

Day 575 | Panic Attack

For the record, I took this photo after I parked at the gas station (and after I took my seatbelt off). Don't worry, I wasn't driving down the street taking photos of my dashboard without my seatbelt on. :)
In case you're not familiar with a minivan dashboard, the photo above is depicting my worst nightmare. By the time I dropped Chase off at school this morning, I had less than one mile of gas remaining in my tank. Did I mention that I also didn't have my wallet with me (which I rarely ever walk out of the house without)?

Yes, that's when my panic attack kicked in. You can relate, right?

Here's the scenario:
  • Chase and I jump in the car this morning (my mom stayed with Robbe, thank goodness) to find out that there are 10 miles of gas remaining. Terror strikes, but it's fine because there's a gas station about halfway between us and Chase's school (i.e. one mile away).
  • The range meter ticks quickly from 10 to 5 as I pull off into the gas station. Whew...we made it.
  • I reach for my wallet. It's not there. Oh crap. Chase senses the stress in my voice (even though I didn't swear...impressive, right?) and starts freaking out. He brainstorms ideas from having to push to asking if buses run down this road. It was adorable and so sad all at the same time.
  • After much consoling, Chase is convinced we're going to make it to the next gas station (right next to Chase's school). I am less than convinced.
  • I continue to watch the range meter tick from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2. We're so close! I hope this meter is correct.
  • Shortly after the meter ticks to one, I park at the gas station near Chases's school and sigh a huge (HUGE!) sigh of relief.
  • One teeny problem still remains...I don't have any money. Luckily, one of the sweet moms at Chase's school had cash and loaned me $10 to get me back home after drop off.
Can I just say that I've never been more relieved in my life to not have to push my giant minivan with a toddler inside down a busy DC street in rush hour. And my takeaway message for all you loyal readers? Stash a $20 bill in your car...just in case.

p.s. I never EVER let my gas tank go under a 1/4 tank. I still can't figure out how this morning's situation arose. I blame my mom for distracting me too much with enjoyable conversation while I've been driving over the past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment