Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Day 305 | Tootsie Roll Flare

I'm happy to report that this will be the last birthday related post for at least a couple weeks (Chase's birthday is right around the corner, after all). I think we're all suffering from a case of, as the Berenstain Bears put it, " Too Much Birthday."

I couldn't help but share one last tidbit from Robbe's bday celebration: Tootsie Rolls! Did you notice the fun paw print on Robbe's cupcake? That was a Tootsie Roll melted and molded to make that shape. I did the same thing to make sheep heads for Chase's first birthday. It's so much more delicious and accessible than using fondant (the popular cake-decorating material). 

Just throw three or four Tootsies in the microwave for ten seconds and they become super pliable. I will offer one lesson I learned from experience, though: don't put the Tootsies on the cupcakes too far in advance and also leave them in the open air (not in an airtight container) once they're decorated. The Tootsies will melt and start to run if enclosed. 

Fun, right? Now back to our normal life around here. For a few days anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment